Thursday, August 19, 2010

Are photographs of items for sale in online stores such as Etsy considered copyrighted? I paint from them &...

I ask because I recently painted a picture of some lamps using a photograph an online seller posted. I assumed that since the photograph was intended solely for representing the item for sale and not for artistic purposes, I could go ahead and download it and paint my picture based on the images and composition of the lamps in the photo. However, since I want to sell the painting, I wanted to be sure this is actually ok and that I am not infringing on any copyright laws. Any advice? Many thanks!Are photographs of items for sale in online stores such as Etsy considered copyrighted? I paint from them %26amp;...
Both the lamps and the photograph of the lamps are the property of the artist - the artist retains the copyright unless they sell it to you or give you permission to use it. Selling a representation of their original work without permission is indeed a violation of copyright law.





I have used online photographs as painting references and in collages, but only after I've emailed the artist to gain permission. Generally, they are intrigued and want to see a picture of what I've done.





It costs nothing to ask. But it could cost you a lawsuit if you don't.Are photographs of items for sale in online stores such as Etsy considered copyrighted? I paint from them %26amp;...
I think that even if the person has put their photo in the public domain, then the copyright and reproduction rights will always be theirs. You should really ask them if you can make a copy of their picture - it's usually not a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment